Saturday, May 24, 2014
1. The most common letter in English is e.
2. The most common vowel in English is e, followed by a.
3. The most common consonant in English is r, followed by t.
4. Only two English words in current use end in -gry. They are angry and hungry.
5. The word bookkeeper is the only unhyphenated English word with three consecutive double letters.
6. More English words begin with the letter s than with any other letter.
7. The word uncopyrightable is the longest English word in normal use that contains no letter more than once.
8. The following sentence contains all 26 letters of the alphabet: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. This sentence is often used to test typewriters or keyboards.
9. The only word in English that ends with the letters -mt is dreamt.
10. The shortest complete sentence in English is: I am
11. We pronounce the combination ough in 9 different ways, as in the following sentence which contains them all: A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.
12. The longest English word without a true vowel (a, e, i, o or u) is rhythm.
13. There are only 4 English words in common use ending in -dous: hazardous, horrendous, stupendous, and tremendous.