Saturday, May 31, 2008

Man Cleans Town for Free - for 14 Years

A public-spirited road-sweeper is cleaning his home town for free - 14 years after retiring.

Former council worker Phillip Winfield, 74, has collected an estimated 200 tonnes of rubbish since he retired at 60.

He loved the job he did for 21 years so much he continued his rounds, often rising at 5am and working until 10pm.

Bachelor Phillip fills an average of five bin bags with rubbish every day.

His efforts have now been recognised with a prestigious community award in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

He said: "I didn't want to get bored and lonely. It made sense and keeps me out of mischief.

"I haven't been to a doctor for six years. Now I've started, I can't stop. It makes me mad to see my streets dirty."

[Via Ananova]

No comments: